As I have written before: I have two lovely cats. Just like with children, my cats are obviously cuter and lovelier than all other cats in the entire world. 

It didn't take long for me to freak out when one of my cats (Ryonn) didn't came home last Tuesday. After roaming the neighbourhood calling for him, trying to reach cat-loving friends back in Holland and crying my eyes out, Jerney arrived in Liverpool on Wednesday morning. She helped me look for him, despite the horrible weather, but we didn’t manage to find him. I had put some ads up on the internet and got a couple of prank phone calls about him (why would one do that?!?), and I started to believe I would never see him again…
Yesterday was a show day, and a pretty long one for me too. The show would be a late one, and I had three interviews in the morning. Just as we were waiting for the van to come and pick us up, I got a genuine phone call about Ryonn: the lady who rang me knew of someone who had found a rather large cat with a Dutch microchip and had taken him to the vet. Fearing he would have to stay there all weekend, I started locating him, and I managed to have him home within an hour!
With our sound and lighting engineer already on their way to the venue with our equipment, the band had decided to stay and wait till the cat thing had been sorted; they all know and love my cats too (see, mine ARE the cutest cats in the world). We left an hour late, and with road works and accidents all over the M6, we were a lot later than we should have been. Luckily, we are definitely getting more into our routine of setting up and preparing, and we managed to make up for most of the lost time quite easily.
Of course we were presented with a couple of challenges, like setting up a quick change area. With the venue not being a theatre, we decided it was best for me to use the monitor area. To create a separate and private area, we had to rush to the supermarket and buy some black sheets though. After the sheets were attached to some microphone stands (we have to be creative at times), we discovered only the top half was covered, and people in the audience could actually look into the area underneath the desk. We stuffed some boxes and cases underneath the desk (it’s a bit like a 3D Tetris game), and I thought we had it all covered. But when lighting engineer Dave moved, he actually appeared to be vital to the area being non-see through. I suggested he would be on stage and not move throughout the whole show, but he said he needed to actually do our lights to make the show look better. He then went and found a piece of black cloth that was about 50 centimetres by at least 10 metres, which was a bit of a pain, but when we stuffed it in the last remaining hole and gaffa taped it to the top, it worked!
The Robin 2 in Wolverhampton is not a theatre, but more of a rock type venue. It was a bit of a gamble whether or not it would work out well. We have had very different experiences with rock venues, but the audience in the Robin 2 was amazing! They were standing further away from the stage than our standing audiences in Holland six weeks ago (but the stage was higher, that might have been the reason why), but they were wonderful!
As usual, a couple of unexpected things happened. You may have seen the spike of the double bass going in at the end of Babooshka, causing the bass to be a lot lower at the end. And I accidentally bit Jerney during Violin.
The applause at the end and the reactions from people in the audience were amazing! With the buzz of the evening I felt good going home, where I could cuddle my cat properly… 

1 comment

  • Eddie Tromans

    Eddie Tromans

    I was at the robin and can honestly say i was mesmerised by your performance, please come back to see us again we loved you !!

    I was at the robin and can honestly say i was mesmerised by your performance, please come back to see us again we loved you !!

Add comment